November 1, 2012

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

It's November, and "Let's Read Plays" challenge has started!

For my November reading I've chosen Macbeth by William Shakespeare. I've already read it in Russian when a kid and I don't remember much, only the witches ;) So now I'll read it in English and really slowly, to get all the nuances.

I've found a good electronic edition on my favourite site - eBooks@Adelaide and I also use some short commentary to help me make my way through the play (Act IAct IIAct IIIAct IVAct V). I also peep in the dictionary quite often and sometimes in the translation for the longest and the most elaborate phrases.

I will update this post as I read to include my thoughts and comments, and in the end I'll write something like final review. I would be glad to find somebody who also does Macbeth this month to share the experience!

Reflections act by act:

Act I
Act II
Act III
Act IV
Act V and final thoughts


Macbeth is a book from my Classics Club list

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with Macbeth! I'm starting Julius Caesar since yesterday, and like you, I'll be reading it slowly, and I might post often on the progress before reviewing the whole play.

    Have fun..! ;)

    P.S. Just an idea, maybe it's better if you put all your update posts about one book (Macbeth in this case) in a certain tag ("Macbeth updates" for example), and instead of putting this post's link in #LRP linky, put the tag's URL, so that everytime people open it, they would find ALL your posts about Macbeth updates (without spamming the linky, LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And good luck to you too! I also have Caesar almost in a year, so it'll be interesting to read your observations!

      Well, the idea hasn't occurred to me, but I don't think I'll be posting THAT much, so a post even for every act is really a lot =) If the post gets really big, I'll consider doing so next month.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with Macbeth! I think it's a good idea to promote the event by posting as you go along. :) I hadn't even thought about that. I was just going to make a big post at the end! :p I'm reading Hamlet, by the way. Hopefully you can find someone who's reading Macbeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was not thinking in terms of promoting the event, but it is more interesting this way =)Hamlet, oh! I've read it a lot of times, and somebody gave me a book where the whole thing was explained very... differently. Like Ofelia was pregnant, the ghost was a part of the plan to make Hamlet kill his uncle... And it really made sense! So... I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I have never touched Macbeth. I don't know why, perhaps because I don't really like the main character? But I agree that Lady Macbeth is a strong woman. I like how Shakespeare makes his female characters. They are so strong-willed and so powerful. Good luck on your way. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, who cares about Macbeth when you have Lady Macbeth? =)

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...