September 14, 2012

The Classics Club List

I've decided to join the Classics Club, and here is the list of 50 60 70 79 books I'm going to read in the next 5 years (although, I hope, there will be more!). So, start 14/09/12, finish 15/09/17, go!
UPD: I'm the worst at sticking to lists, so if I read some classics which are not on the list, I'll just add them here on the go. But I'll NOT delete anything from the list unless I'm completely desperate :)

Markings:
- read books are crossed out, and the final review is linked to them.
- books in progress are in pink
- abandoned books are in grey
- books marked with an asterisk* are re-reads.

VI century B.C.:
  1. Aesop: Fables

V century B.C.:

  1. Sophocles: Oedipus the King 

I century: 
  1. Ovid: Metamorphoses 

II century:
  1. Apuleius, Lucius: The Golden Ass

XI century:
  1. Nennius: Historia Brittonum

XII century:
  1. Geoffrey of Monmouth: Life of Merlin
  2. Geoffrey of Monmouth: The History of the Kings of Britain
  3. Troyes, Chrétien de: Cligès
  4. Troyes, Chrétien de: Erec and Enide
  5. Troyes, Chrétien de: Yvain, the Knight of the Lion
  6. Turold: The Song of Roland 

XIII century:
  1. One Thousand and One Nights 

XV century:
  1. Chaucer, Geoffrey: The Canterbury Tales
  2. Malory, Thomas: Le Morte d'Arthur

XVI century:
  1. Shakespeare, William: A Midsummer Night’s Dream 
  2. Shakespeare, William: Henry V
  3. Shakespeare, William: As You Like It 
  4. Shakespeare, William: Julius Caesar 

XVII century: 
  1. Milton, John: Paradise Lost 
  2. Shakespeare, William: Macbeth* 
  3. Shakespeare, William: Twelfth Night

XVIII century:
  1. Laclos, Choderlos de: Dangerous Liaisons 
  2. Prevost, A. F.: Manon Lescaut
  3. Radcliffe, Anne: The Mysteries of Udolpho 
  4. Swift, Jonathon: Gulliver’s Travels 
  5. Voltaire: Candide
  6. Walpole, Horace: The Castle of Otranto 

XIX century:
  1. Alcott, Louisa May: Little Women
  2. Austen, Jane: Mansfield Park 
  3. Austen, Jane: Persuasion 
  4. Balzac, Honore: Eugenie Grandet
  5. Brontë, Charlotte: Jane Eyre*
  6. Chekhov, Anton: The Seagull
  7. Dickens, Charles: A Christmas Carol
  8. Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations 
  9. Dickens, Charles: Tale of Two Cities 
  10. Dickens, Charles: The Old Curiousity Shop
  11. Eliot, George: Middlemarch 
  12. Gaskell, Elizabeth: Wives and Daughters
  13. Hardy, Thomas: Tess of the D'Urbervilles 
  14. Hoffmann, E. T. A.: The Life And Opinions Of the Tomcat Murr
  15. Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables 
  16. Irving, Washington: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow 
  17. Melville, Herman: Moby Dick
  18. Scott, Sir Walter: The Lady of the Lake 
  19. Scott, Sir Walter: The Bride of Lammermoor
  20. Trollope, Anthony: the Warden
  21. Twain, Mark: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court 
  22. Zola, Émile: Germinal 
  23. Zola, Émile: The Fortune of the Rougons

    XX century:
    1. Borges, Jorge Luis: Ficciones
    2. Chekhov, Anton: Three Sisters 
    3. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Lost World 
    4. Dreiser, Theodore: American Tragedy 
    5. Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca 
    6. Eco, Umberto: The Name of the Rose
    7. Faulkner, William: Light in August 
    8. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Beautiful and Damned 
    9. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Great Gatsby
    10. Harper, Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird
    11. Hemingway, Ernest: A Farewell to Arms
    12. Hemingway, Ernest: For Whom the Bell Tolls 
    13. Huxley, Aldous: Brave New World
    14. Joyce James: Ulysses 
    15. Kerouac, Jack: On the Road
    16. Kundera, Milan: The Unbearable Lightness of Being 
    17. Mann, Thomas: Death in Venice
    18. Marquez, Gabriel Garcia: One Hundred Years of Solitude 
    19. Maugham, W. Somerset: Of Human Bondage 
    20. Orwell, George: Animal Farm 
    21. Rand, Ayn: Atlas Shrugged 
    22. Steinbeck, John: The Grapes of Wrath 
    23. Stoppard, Tom: Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead 
    24. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited 
    25. Waugh, Evelyn: Vile Bodies 
    26. Wharton, Edith: The Age of Innocence 
    27. Williams, Tennessee: A Streetcar Named Desire
    28. Woolf, Virginia: Mrs. Dalloway
    29. Woolf, Virginia: Orlando 
    30. Woolf, Virginia: To the Lighthouse

    9 comments:

    1. I like your list. There are some BIG ones on there. Good luck! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! I tried to choose the books, that I REALLY should have read by now. But there always was something else =)

        Delete
    2. Welcome aboard! I just approved your request on Goodreads, so you should be able to get in and comment, etc. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Great! Thanks! I'm already halfway through my first book =)

        Delete
    3. Wonderful list! I love how diverse it is. I loved both Great Expectations and A Streetcar Named Desire.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Yes, Mr. Stotle, I'm looking forward to both of them!

        Delete
    4. What a list! We should read The Lost World together. It's on my list as well, and I'm soooo lazy to read it alone. Haha. I cheer for Paradise Lost. I've never read Lammermoor, but I've watched the opera. They say the story is a bit different, though. Happy reading.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! And don't worry, I'm lazy too, so you just pick a month, and we can have a small readalong for the two of us =)

        Delete
    5. I love that you arranged it by century. That will be helpful as I try to decide what to read for pre-17th century books for the Back to the Classics Challenge. I just got done with Little Women for the challenge and Classics Club and loved it! I am with you, I feel like I should have read all the books on my list by now but I suppose better late than never! Happy reading and you're making great progress on your list!

      ReplyDelete

    Share your thoughts!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...