August 8, 2014

The Classics Spin #7

I haven't done a spin for quite some time now, and it's a shame, because I've been really bad at making progress with my list this year. So I hope this will make me finally pick up something I've been putting off!

I don't have a lot of books left on the list, and most of those left I'm hesitant to start, either because they are long or complicated or because I've tried to read them before, unsuccessfully. So I've just picked the first 20! Wish me luck!

  1. Ovid: Metamorphoses 
  2. Turold: The Song of Roland 
  3. Chaucer, Geoffrey: The Canterbury Tales
  4. Malory, Thomas: Le Morte d'Arthur
  5. Swift, Jonathon: Gulliver’s Travels
  6. Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations
  7. Eliot, George: Middlemarch 
  8. Hardy, Thomas: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  9. Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables
  10. Scott, Sir Walter: The Lady of the Lake
  11. Scott, Sir Walter: The Bride of Lammermoor
  12. Twain, Mark: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court 
  13. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Lost World
  14. Dreiser, Theodore: American Tragedy
  15. Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca
  16. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Beautiful and Damned
  17. Hemingway, Ernest: A Farewell to Arms
  18. Hemingway, Ernest: For Whom the Bell Tolls 
  19. Joyce James: Ulysses
  20. Kundera, Milan: The Unbearable Lightness of Being

8 comments:

  1. Some great stories in that mix, but also some chunksters!!

    Good luck on Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was really afraid of getting one of the chunksters! :)

      Delete
  2. Books on your list I've always wanted to read:

    Ovid: Metamorphoses
    Eliot, George: Middlemarch
    Joyce James: Ulysses


    I've read some (2-6, 8-12, 16, and 20) of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot you've read from the list... I have a bad feeling about Ulysses, and I've already tried Middlemarch once and just couldn't.. So these titles are not what I am looking forward to :)

      Delete
  3. I got Les Miserables on a spin before, I hope you are more lucky than me! The Beautiful and the Damned is really good though, and Rebecca is just fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Rebecca is great, I have no idea why I keep putting it off! Fizgerald is one of my favourite authors too. Wow, Les Mis is very difficult to read in time for the spin... The only was is to abandon any other books (and real life too:))

      Delete
  4. I'm soon going to be reading both Metamorphoses and Le Morte. I have A Connecticut Yankee on my list too.

    I hope you have a great spin, Ekaterina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cleopatra! I'm pushing Jean to hold a Le Morte read-a-long in autumn, so if that happens, we can read it together :))

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...