April 13, 2014

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (Review)

Title: A Dance with Dragons
Author: George R.R. Martin
First published: 2011
Add it: Goodreads, The Book Depository
Rating: ★★★★★

This book was an experience, and it left me wondering how I'm supposed to survive until the next one - so many cliffhangers! Am I normal that my favourite volumes in the series are the ones where things get REALLY bad for someone? Not that it doesn't happen in every book, but to a different extent, lol :) Although I had so many diverse feeling on finishing the tome (and it IS a tome, believe me! I soooo appreciate my thin and light e-reader when I read books like that :)) and though I enjoyed it immensely, I now find it difficult to say something coherent. Commenting on the plot is useless without recapping all the prehistory, and there's a lot to recap! So I've decided to go with short reactions on each story line, and if you've read the book you'll hopefully understand what I'm talking about. And if you haven't, you really should!

Jon
He's doing the right thing, I think. He may be changing the whole world structure there. Such a pity this doesn't make him any more popular, and well... he should have seen it coming...

Tyrion
I'm not impressed with him in this volume so much... He feels out of character a bit... Or maybe I was thinking wrongly about him, I don't know. But things like those that he's done do change people, don't they?

Davos
Never liked this guy. But now he might finally be up to something interesting... I wonder WHERE exactly he was sent...

Daenerys
Unlike Jon, she seems to be doing everything wrong. But I'm not sure there is really a right course of actions in her situation, and who am I to judge, anyway? It makes me sad to think about what has become with her relationships with her dragons, but I guess they couldn't stay cute forever. Her chapters made me sad all the time, because I didn't see the way out. But apparently, she has found one! I'm excited to know what'll happen next.

Bran
Weird, as usual. I don't see where his plot line is going and never have seen. I don't think that what he is pursuing is a good thing, even if you are a cripple with no family. I'd choose begging in the streets to THIS anytime.

Arya
Also getting weird. I don't like her training at all, and I'm not a bit worried about her. Although she might think that's what she wants, I am pretty sure it will not make her happy. She doesn't seem to have any other options, though :(

Asha
I really like her, and I think she is one of the few characters who really can lead people and she would be a great Iron Queen. Well, I guess I'm wishing for too much. I'm really wondering what has happened to all of them at the crofters' village... Nothing good, I guess.

Quentyn
I actually quite liked him. He is a good boy who tries to do everything right, but he's not a bit naive, and we all know how it ends in this world. I really enjoy his father's conspiracies. He might be another guy with brains, and maybe the only one left since what's happened to Tywin.

Theon
Oh, horrible, horrible chapters! They gave me quite a few nightmares. However, I love how psychologically deep they are. Death is not the worst thing that can happen to you in this world, that's no news....

Barristan
He reminds me of Davos a lot. Now they even share an office! Well, not really, but you know what I mean :) But somehow his chapters are not dull because of all the thing happening in Meereen. I have a problem with all the courtiers there, by the way, I never know what side are they at, and they all have queer names.

Victarion
Some religious stuff happening here... I'm not a fan of religion at all, and as in real world, religiousness in these books irritate me a lot! But that's what I like so much about the series - everything is so real! Victarion will not end well though, you don't need to look in the flames to see it.

Cersei
I'm not a fan of her, I think she is really a bitch. But what's happening to her is too much. I bet she's not subdued though! We'll see...

Jaime
Hot much happening here either, but I guess he's in a lot of trouble, considering WHO he left with and how the previous book ended.

Areo
He is not much of a character for me yet, just a pair of eyes at Doran's court. But YAY Sand sisters in action!!! They are awesome!!

Melisandre
I was so excited to see her in the POV list, but she is not so exciting as she seems from the outside. Well, that the essence of her cult - to seem cool! Although the Red God seems to be the only one working out of all the gods of the world, which kinda sets him apart. He and Melisardre are up to a serious test though!

Griff
Oh, this new story line is so exciting! The appearance of young Griff seems like cheating, but it adds one more party to the Game, and it's awesome! The greyscale scares the bejeezus out of me... You neeed a proper cure, you damn fool! To the fuck with your image!

In my book:
A very gripping continuation of the series which makes me want Martin to write faster. Much faster.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else liked this book - I don't know why but so far people who I've talked to that have actually made it so far in the series (and there ain't that many, seems that people are more into TV-series these days...) have mostly been whining and complaining - about the length, about the viewpoints and about the pacing. I don't remember everything that well because I read it more than a year ago, but I liked the book.

    I thought from the beginning though that the whole dragon business is a textbook example of bad planning. I mean, did anyone really think they will remain little and cute forever... I thought Tyrion's chapters were a bit odd as well, but then again, why not. Noone can be totally awesome 24/7. The whole business with Theon was ugggh. I think a re-read for the whole series is in order for me at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this one but I'm loving this series. It's been a while since I read some of the others, so I'm going to start with book one again. I'm glad that my two favourite characters are still alive in book five. I've liked Tyrion and Arya so far and I hope that they stay alive until the end.

    By the way, I’ve nominated you for the Dardo Award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is amazing to me is how close the TV series is to what is in the books. How they manage some of it is beyond me. Excellent read!! Definitely worth reading the whole series. I could hardly wait to get to each of the books in succession. Very well written. The extensive detail about all the various families and how their interactions ebb and flow or should I say clash and slash sometimes!
    Seattle Divorce Attorney

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...