January 8, 2014

The First Post of the New Year

Hi everybody!

Congratulations on all the past holidays! I haven't been around much since December 20th, as I went home for Christmas holidays, so I had too much real life to spend time online. Then my BF and I did a bit of travelling together, and yesterday I came back to my dull student life full of exams and deadlines :) Which means I'll probably not be very active in January too, but at least I'll catch up on all your posts. There are 300 unread items in my RSS! That's a lot of work!

Soon I'll post some more sign-ups that I haven't had time to do before and then I'll get back to normal reviewing routine. Also, my mom, my BF and I have prepared a list of must-read Russian war books for you, so I only need to find English translations to present it. I hope you are excited :)

Meanwhile, I have finished The Mysteries of Udolpho, which was not very rewarding, and now I'm reading The Shore by Bondarev, which is quite good. The reviews will be up soon!

And here, the cute one is serving as an apology for my long absence:


Have a nice day!



6 comments:

  1. Must-read Russian war books?? You bet I'm excited! Guess what my mom gave me for Christmas--"Molotov's Magic Lantern" by Rachel Polonsky!

    I have been pretty AWOL since the New Year, and now I have a pile of books waiting for me to write about them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom has a nice taste, the book sounds interesting! Although I'm always a bit suspicious about foreigners trying to write about Russia, this one seems to be well-researched.

      AWOL is new to me :) I think I learn most new to me English abbreviations from you :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back - I missed your posts!

    Count me in for excited as well, and the cute one is really... awwwww :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Riv! I'll try to be faster with the list :)

      Delete
  3. Love that cute tiger (or jaguar or lynx - I don't know which one it is) :) Sorry to know that you didn't like 'The Mysteries of Udolpho' as much as you had hoped to. I loved Ann Radcliffe's prose and the descriptions in the book - especially of the mountains and of Venice - and I also liked the first part of the story, but after a point Radcliffe seemed to be repeating with a new heroine kind of character and the way she revealed the surprises was not very satisfying. But I am glad I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many readers so many opinions :) For me the descriptions were tiresome and by the time she revealed some secrets I already didn't care... Maybe I'm too impatient for such meandering literature :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...